Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Gaylord Du Bois DuBois

Gaylord DuBois was my grandfather. Gaylord DuBois wrote comic books. Gaylord Dubois wrote boys adventure novels. Gaylord DuBois was a ghost writer. Gaylord DuBois... well, I could go on and on so I will back up a few steps and talk about my own activities.
I am a visual artist and about 2 years ago I had an idea about portraying grandpa's career as an art exhibition. I mentioned this to an agent/friend and she immediately told me to get to work on my thoughts and ideas. I started gathering information to add to my own knowledge of grandpa, and I started collecting anything I could get my hands on -- books, comics, news articles, grandpa's personal belongings, family heirlooms, photographs, manuscripts, etc.
Each time I started thinking I was closing in on having enough inforamtion I discovered so much more about this man -- and had so much more to research and seek out. I have dozens of fans, researchers, professors, scholars, friends, etc that have helped and of course my family. To date I have accumulated a wall full of boxes and bins, piled to the ceiling and am now trying to sort it out in some sort of order. The dilemma I currently face is how to approach this as an art exhibition because of the wealth of information I have garnered in my search. Many times I have decided it was better suited as an historical exhibition but then in what venue? ... and what media?
At this point, I am starting this blog, where I will put details of his life along with details of my progress in assembling some type of exhibition. If anyone has an idea on how I should approach it please leave comments or contact me. I have many people who have been a wonderful source of help to this point. Maybe with the blog and comments there it will seems a little more like an open discussion instead of emailing so many back and forth and duplicating some info while missing out on other.
Anyway -- for now this is my feeble start. My time spent at this is erratic. If you are reading this to find out more on the man, Gaylord DuBois, stay tuned -- that will be on here too. I have historical family history back to the sinking of the Schooner Jupiter when it struck and iceberg and beyond. I have photos and letters covering much of his 93 years of life and even some of his parents, grandparents and great grandparents.
I have promised some of the fans and other contributors that I would assemble some sort of bio for their purposes and have yet to do that but the information will be appearing here. If you have an interest in being a regular contributor to this blog please let me know and I'll give you an invitation.

No comments: